Re: receiving a serve

Kevin Lentin <kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au> writes:
> Todd wrote:
> > USAV Beach 1998-99
> > 13.4.4 A contact of the ball using the fingers of one or two hand to
> >        direct the ball toward a teammate is a set.  A player may set
> >        the ball in any direction toward his/her team's court.
> > 13.4.4.1 Rotation of a set ball may indicate a held ball or multiple
> >          contacts during the set but in itself is not a fault.
>
> I still find it very interesting how much details there is in the US rules.
> There is no definition of a 'set' in FIVB rules (except the other kind of
> set which you guys call a game). Spin is certainly not ever
> mentioned.

In the interest of the comparison discussion, I'll mention that "set"
is _not_ defined in the USAV indoor rules, nor is spin mentioned.  In
general the USAV beach rules are a little less precisely written than
our indoor rules.  The beach rules, do, however, have a very unique
position in providing rules for such a wide variety of play--2's 3's
4's 6's co-rec, reverse co-rec, etc.

> The closest we get is the term 'overhead finger action' when talking
> about Liberos in front court (and in the old rules, the first
> contact double rule excluded overhead finger action). And of course
> the rule about tipping on the beach.

The current indoor rules on ball contact read like so:

1998-99 USA Volleyball Rules

14.4 CHARACTERISTICS OF THE HIT

14.4.1 The ball may touch any part of the body.

14.4.2 The ball must be hit, not caught or thrown. It can rebound in
       any direction.

14.4.3 The ball may touch various parts of the body, provided that the
       contacts take place simultaneously. EXCEPTIONS:

14.4.3.1 During blocking, consecutive contacts [Rule 19.4.1] may occur
         by one or more blockers provided the contacts occur during
         one action.

14.4.3.2 During the first hit of the team (not blocking [Rule 19.2]),
         the ball may contact various parts of the body consecutively,
         provided that the contacts occur during one action.

14.4.3.2 Commentary: The first hit of the team includes reception: (a)
         of the serve; (b) of an attack-hit by the opponent [this may
         be a soft or hard attack-hit]; (c) of a ball blocked by one's
         own team and (d) of a ball blocked by the opponents. During
         the team's first hit, successive contacts with various parts
         of the player's body are permitted in a single action of
         playing the ball. These include contacts involving
         “finger-action” on the ball and contact with the
         foot. The ball, however, may not be caught and/or thrown.

Best Regards,
USAV Jr. National Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."