Re: Letting 'em "Play on"

"L. Ravi Narasimhan" <oski@physics.ucla.edu> writes:
> The international trend of letting plays develop despite grisly
> ball-handling was brought up by Doug Beal and Marv Vader at the recent
> AVCA Clinic held at UCLA.  Both of them thought it was a good thing.  In
> other discussions, attendees who coach at lower levels brought up the
> high cost of staging a volleyball match.
> So, I inquired that if the refs aren't going to call anything, why have
> them in the first place?  I am told that this could save at least
> $200/night in many places.

What are you paying referees for?  Do you want to fall into the "pay
by the whistle" trap of which Federation (HS) refs get accused ("Blow
your whistle, son, that's what you're gettin paid 'fer!"), or are you
paying a professional to facilitate the smooth running of a match?

If you're in the former camp, and get really really bothered by ball
handling being let go, and want the liability of having an untrained
person (or no person at all) facilitating your volleyball match, have
at it--get rid of the refs.  Good luck should you have an intense
rivalry or a single hot-headed player that gets out of control.

Referees aren't there just to blow the whistle for ball handling
faults.

(Mike's suggestion of abolishing volleyball parents is extremely
intriguing, though)

Best Regards,
USAV Jr. National Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."