Re: Outdoor rule clarif.

"Mike Daly" <Mike_Daly@msn.com> writes:

> I see that Paul discussed the USV rule, but I know many organizations use a
> local ruleset.  I know by me that they use this ruling.  Unless the ball is
> hard-driven then there may not be multiple contacts.

Just to clarify from the USAV beach perspective: the hard-driven ball
clause of R13.4.3.1 has nothing to do with the legality of multiple
contacts.  The hard-driven ball clause deals exclusively with the
legality of lifts/carry.

The rules are very simple, but significantly different from their
indoor counterparts:

USAV Beach 1998-99
13.4 Characteristics of the Contact
13.4.1 A player may touch the ball with any part of the body.
13.4.2 A player may have successive contact with the ball during a
       single attempt to make the team's first contact provided the
       fingers are not used to direct the ball.
13.4.3 The ball must be contacted cleanly and not held, lifted,
       pushed, caught, carried or thrown.  The ball cannot roll or
       come to rest on any part of the player's body.  It can rebound
       in any direction.
13.4.3.1 An exception shall be allowed during the defensive play of a
         hard-driven ball (an attack-hit or blocked ball traveling at
         a high rate of speed), as judged by the referee.  In that
         case, the ball may be momentarily lifted or pushed, provided
         the attempt is one continuous motion.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."