Re: Outdoor rule clarif.

This and other indoor/outdoor differences are described in detail
here:

        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/ref/ODRULDIF.HTM
        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/ref/beach/

The USAV beach rules are available on line now!  Enjoy!

        http://usavolleyball.org/pub/rule_book.htm

jdclar@acpub.duke.edu (Joseph D. Clarke) writes:
> I have been told by others and have read in the 98/99 USVBA rule
> book (the exact citation escapes me) that in outdoor play, much like
> the indoor rule, one is allowed to double contact the first touch.

Two separate issues often get muttled here: multiple contacts, and
carry/throw.

First, per USAV beach rules, multiple contacts are okay in a single
attempt to play the ball as long as the fingers are not used.  Second,
momentary lifts/carries are legal in defense of a hard-driven ball.

See the links above for a more rigorous treatment/details.

> This is not restricted to a 'hard driven ball' and thus includes the
> serve and roll.  Last year, this was discussed at length depending
> on where I played or if I was playing sand or grass.  The most
> common interpretation was to allow a serve, spike or roll to be
> received without requiring that both hands be together as one unit.

This interpretation is consistent with the rulebook.  The rulebook
doesn't require hands being together as one unit to legally play the
first ball.  I've seen such a prohibition in local homer rules,
however.

> However, if the serve or roll was taken overhand or above the head
> with the intent to set or using a setting motion (soft fingers, lots
> of palm, from the chest, deep dish etc), it was called a carry.

This interpretation does not sound consistent with the USAV beach
rules.  There is no rote prohibition on setting the first ball in USAV
beach rules.  However, the situations you describe parenthetically
above sound like they would be considered lifts/carries under either
indoor or outdoor rules.

With respect to setting the first ball under USAV beach rules:

If the resulting set is clean (i.e. would be considered a legal set on
the 2nd ball; not held, not double contacted), then there is no fault.

If the resulting set is carried or thrown, it's legal if the ball is
considered hard-driven**, but illegal otherwise.  Note, a serve is never
considered a hard-driven ball (per Sue Lemaire, USAV beach rules
interpretter).

If the resulting set is double contacted, it's illegal.**

(** Indicates differences from USAV indoor rules)

> Some went so far as to call it a carry if the ball didn't leave the
> hands as clean (little to no spin) as the set was often expected to
> be.

It's true that USAV beach rules are stricter with respect to double
contacts in setting the first ball.  That is, you can double contact a
first-ball-set indoors, but the same play outdoors draws a
"double-contact" whistle.

OTOH, USAV beach rules are looser with respect to carry/lift on the
first ball.  That is, you're allowed to momentarily lift/carry the in
defense of a hard-driven ball outdoors.  The indoor rules have no such
hard-driven ball clause.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."