Re: VOLLEYBALL and being politicially correct

"JLeslie" <jleslie@lesliecorp.com> writes:

> > Don't you think it's time we became a bit more enlightened?  Cite any
> > signficant negative preconceptions (prejudices) you've ever
> > experienced because you're male.
>
> You mean you don't think there are any negative preconceived notions or
> prejudices regarding males?

Of course not.  The key word in my assertion is "significant."

There are a lot of prejudices against men...but I can't think of one
of them that's ever affected my self-esteem, or that I've ever felt
was unfair, or prevented me from being judged fairly.  Furthermore, I
haven't run into any men who are too wound up about this either.

Hence, if a female league coordinator wrote a thanks to all the
attractive men that have come into a co-rec league, I as a man
wouldn't care.  Why?  Because I haven't had to rise above any limiting
prejudices.  There isn't a pattern of unfairness associated with women
viewing men as merely attractive.

A male director saying the same thing about women, however, is clearly
patronizing...because there's a history of problems associated with
men objectifying and belittling women.

> This whole string was started because of just such a notion.  I'm
> sure that Bramvolley wasn't trying to be sexist with his
> comments.....but prejudices and preconceived notions about males
> turned his comments into a sexest insult.

You're blaming the victims.  That is, you're blaming women for having
preconceived notions of men as sexist pigs.  If women do have such
preconceived notions, I'm betting they didn't crop up out of nowhere.
Again, when dealing with sensitivity issues--be they cultural, sexual,
or ethnic--it's all about history and established patterns of unfair
treatment.