Re: Incidental net contact

volleyball@mail.ids.net (Michael Lehnertz) writes:

> Ok people...
>
> The discussion came up this weekend of what "incidental net contact"
> was defined as.
>
> I had this:
>
> A player is on defense, preparing to block.  Player goes up, player
> comes down.  Player turns around after the block and looks at the
> defense behind her.  She takes a step towards the back row, and as she
> does, she moves her arm, hitting the net with her elbow.  The net
> bounces pretty good.
>
> I didn't call a net violation because a) the player wasn't making a
> play on the ball and b) it was incidental.  But, someone said that
> because the net was bouncing pretty good, that it should be called a
> "net".  I didn't agree.  Even though the net was bouncing, I felt it
> was still incidental.
>
> What's the call on this?

Bravo Mike.  This specific situation was cited in last year's USAV
Lone Star Region clinic in Austin as an example of incidental net
contact.  You made the correct call.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."