Re: net cable... in or out?

Bill <bherms@acadiacom.net> writes:

> I've always played the cable going from the net to the post was in play,
> even though it is usually angled up to the post so a ball headed out
> could bounce off it and back in.  Also, the little dowel that is in the
> net (not the big posts) can deflect a ball back in.
>
> Do some places call these out?  I've seen nothing in the rulebook except
> that the big posts are used as antenna in outdoors (unless there are
> antennae).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

USA Volleyball indoor rule 12.4.3 states:

  12.4 The ball is "out" when:
  12.4.3  it contacts an antenna, rope, post or the net itself outside an
  antenna/side band

The USAV outdoor rule [11.4.1.4] is the same.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."