Re: Best sand for beach vb court

Jason Botwick <sophie@interpath.com> writes:
> What is the best sand for a beach vb court and why? What is a fair price
> including delivery?

The topic of sand is remarkably complex.  There are a bunch of
different grades based on the size of the largest material in the
sand, and smoothness of the individual grains.  I learned the most by
going to a local aggregate supplier and having a look at their large
piles of various grades of sand.  Your sand will be delivered by truck
from such a local supplier, and they can give you prices.  I've
included an estimate and some calculations below for reference.

As I recall...

Masonry sand is the finest grade available.  You won't find any small
pebbles in this.  However, if the grains are too fine, they'll clump.

You want double-washed sand if you can get it.  Unwashed sand still
has a lot of dirt in it which will clump when wet.

Sand of a river-bottom variety is also a good thing for
volleyball...but I can't remember why.  I think the grains are
smoother.

I've heard of "round-grain" sand that is smoother...but the aggregate
supplier I talked with in Austin wasn't familiar with any such
classification.

Here's a snip from an email documenting my quest for more sand for an
existing court.  The calculations may be somewhat useful for you.
June 1996
The following estimate came from
Austin Sand & Gravel
901 Dalton Ln
385-5379

Since the court should be approximately 30'x60', I estimated the area
of the sand pit to be 40 feet x 70 feet.
40'x70' = 2800 ft^2
I assumed that 4 inches of sand would provide adequate supplemental
coverage.  The volume of sand required would be:
2800 ft^2   x   0.33ft   = 924 ft^3   x  1yd^3 /(3ft)^3  = 35 yd^3

The sand company said that 1 cubic yard of sand weighs 1.4 tons.
35 yd^3  x 1.4 tons/yd^3  =  49 tons

The rate for washed Mortar/Masonry sand (sand that is screened to
remove all rock and is soft enough for use on volleyball courts) costs
$10.20/ton if delivered to this site.  49 tons x $10.20/ton = $500
Alternatively, this sand costs $140 per truck load.  4 truckloads
would be required for this volume of sand.
The grand total:  4 trucks x $140/truck = $560

More info on building the sand courts is available here:
        http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/ref/courtspecs.html

I highly recommend Kessel's article:
        http://www.xnet.com/~schneid/sand_court.html

> Jason Botwick
>
> "Doesn't play well with others"
>  -- Ms. Gleason, 2nd Grade Teacher
>
> "If Jason possess a single virtue it has eluded my vigilant
> attention. If there are vices -- as possibly there are -- from
> which he is exempt, it is only because it is not permitted to
> human nature to attain perfection, even in evil."
>  -- Ms. Hennings, 3rd Grade Teacher
>
> "A heavy metal rocker must wear many hats, as it were.
> Firstly, he must be a vocalist who can imitate a
> man having an impacted wisdom tooth removed without
> anesthesia. He also must be a rhythm guitarist who can
> pummel an innocent riff into submission. And, he must be
> a lead guitarist who is a rude, crude, unrepentant showoff.
> Finally, he must be a songwriter/lyricist capable of
> composing songs that deal plainly with sexism, satanism,
> and militarism. Jason scores high in each of the categories,
> and he has been rewarded accordingly,"
>  -- Ms. Elsenheimer, 5th Grade Teacher
> --------------------------

And while I'm ruffling feathers on my netiquette rampage.....

> From http://www.dejanews.com/info/primer3.shtml

                        Don't Overdo Signatures.

  Signatures are nice, and many people can have a signature added to
  their postings automatically by placing it in a file called
  "$HOME/.signature".  Don't overdo it.  Signatures can tell the world
  something about you, but keep them short.  A signature that is
  longer than the message itself is considered to be in bad taste.
  The main purpose of a signature is to help people locate you, not to
  tell your life story.  Every signature should include at least your
  return address relative to a major, known site on the network and a
  proper domain-format address.  Your system administrator can give
  this to you.  Some news posters attempt to enforce a 4 line limit on
  signature files -- an amount that should be more than sufficient to
  provide a return address and attribution.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."