Re: New FAQ: In or Out? Ball Compression and the Sideline

bruno@cerberus.csd.uwm.edu (Bruno Wolff III) writes:
> From article <wgsn1zv4391.fsf@shell-2.enteract.com>, by Todd <tdh@vbref.org>:
> >
> > I'd encourage the line judges to make their best guess, and sell
> > their decision.  If I have a substantially different view of the
> > line contact as R1, the R1 reserves the right to overrule.
>
> This is part of what I was looking for. Can you be more specific in
> your guidelines for how a line judge should make this guess?

That's a question for the guru of officials development.

I don't give LJ's any guidelines on this issue--I assume they know if
a ball is in or out.  If the players are really inexperienced and
young, I'll just say "The ball is in if it touches the line" and leave
it at that.

Heck, I'm happy if they're awake, watching all the plays, keeping an
eye on the antennas, watching for footfaults and making confident
calls.  If each of them has a different interpretation of what they
see as "in" on a ball that's close to them, I don't really mind.  As I
said, in that case, I as R1 would have a long view of the play and
could overrule their call if I saw things differently than they did.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."