Re: Why all the rules?

"Paul Worden" <pworden@istar.ca> writes:
> Being Canadian, I guess I really can't appreciate the difficulty that all
> you good volleyball folks, players, coaches, but especially officials, go
> through with so many different sets of rules.  Since I started refereeing
> over a decade ago, I have seen many rule changes in the game here, but the
> rules remain the same everywhere in the country.  The sport of volleyball is
> governed by one body (basically); Volleyball Canada.  The rules that VC
> adopts become those of the entire national body playing the game.  My
> question is a simple one (ha ha).....why do our American friends have to
> use/tolerate so many sets of rules?
>
> Paul Worden
> Referee
> Volleyball Canada

Our hard-bellied sense of rugged individualism, I suppose.  It's a
pain in the butt for the officials, for sure.

As I understand it, USAV has to be different from FIVB, largely
because of added safety-related rules due to our rather litigious
society.  With this year's rule changes, we're closing the small gap
between us and the FIVB quite a bit.

NAGWS rules for women's collegiate play are different because....the
NAGWS coaches want to have their own set of rules?  I dunno.  Wally,
any insight?

NHFHSA rules used by the high schools are different because....NHFHSA
deals with all sports, and would like to have their own volleyball
rulebook to make a complete set?  I dunno.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."