Re: overhead pass technique

Joe Arkin <joearkin@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> Well, the good news is that women's college adopted this last year.
> The coaches haven't learned to use it yet though to their advantage.
> I couldn't believe how many times I saw a women's middle hitter get
> down low near the net to forearm pass a freeball rather than move in
> with their bodies high and use their hands!  Tough to run a middle
> quick when your middle is still recovering from a low forearm pass,
> yanno?!  I just don't get it!

Joe,

You'll be pleased to hear that I witnessed several of the D-I women's
collegiate teams taking full advantage of this rule change this past
weekend in Urbana-Champaign (Michigan State, Purdue, UIUC, Indiana
University, Illinois State, Univ of Iowa were in attendance).

UIUC in particular received ~85% of soft serves with their hands,
which they quickly converted to rally-ending attacks.

And, you'll also be pleased to know that under the watchful scrutiny
of Tom Blue, Marcia Alterman, Marty Prochko, and Mike Chand^H^H^H^H^H
Carter, and Wally Hendricks none of us officials called any of these
receptions as lifts unless they really were.  :-)

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."