Re: Rule question - digging with palm up

BArnett@istar.ca (Bill Arnett) writes:

> Way back in school, we were taught that a one-handed dig had to be
> done with forearm, closed hand, or the back of the hand, but I find
> nothing in the rules that prohibits using the palm or the fingers so
> long as the ball is not held or thrown.
>
> Am I right in my interpretation?

Yes...provided the ball is not held, carried or thrown.  We don't
judge technique, just legality.  Said another way, "We don't call
ugly," much to the chagrin of the purists.  :-)

> Normally, this is an issue with a "reflex action" kind of play to pop
> up a tipped ball.
>
> Does the rule vary between rule sets?
> I know outdoor rules allow for a slight lift on a hard-driven ball, but
> other than that, are there any other applicable rules?

All the rulesets are rather consistent on this.  None of them has a
rote prohibition on playing the ball with the palm as you describe.
Such an action, however, will be held to close scrutiny in practice
because it's a hard play to make cleanly without holding/throwing the
ball.

Those who demand a lift call just because they don't like the
technique of the contact, though, are not keeping with the intent of
the rules.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."