USAV beach double contact, hard-driven (was NF:Blocking the Serve)

wally-h@uiuc.edu (Wally Hendricks) writes:
> In article <1998090101460300.VAA25059@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
> vbcoacher@aol.com (VBCoacher) wrote:
> >
> >Hasn't the US allowed double contacts on the first ball for a
> >while...providing that it was a "hard driven ball"?
>
> There has never been a "hard driven ball" rule in indoor volleyball
> in USA VB or NAGWS jurisdictions (I cannot speak for federation).
> The "hard driven ball" rule is an outdoor rule only (in that venue
> you can also hold a hard driven ball- this is not allowed indoors).
> Many, many people have thought that the hard driven ball caveat
> existed when it did not.

Indeed.  The phrase hard-driven is very often used, but seldom
understood correctly.  It's no wonder because we have so darned many
rulesets!

Wally has taken care of USAV indoor and NAGWS; Joe has spoken to
Federation rules; and (predictably) here's me to give the USAV beach
perspective.

For more information on the hard-driven ball rule in USA Volleyball
beach rules, check here:

        http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=373263374

The key:  you can momentarily lift/carry a hard-driven ball under USAV
outdoor rules, but you cannot double contact such a ball with the
fingers.  See the link above for the appropriate rules citations.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."