Re: Officials' Forum #25

wally-h@uiuc.edu (Wally Hendricks) writes:

> 1.  The attacker hits the ball into the tape.  As R1, what instruction have
> you given the R2 prior to the match about this situation?

I like b, as a rule.  A reassuring nod would be nice, however, if I do
look directly at the r2.  I wouldn't expect the R2 to ever signal a
touch.

> b.  The R2 should not give me any signal if he sees a touch or if he is
> unsure.  He should give me 4-hits if he clearly sees that the ball did not
> touch the blockers.

> 2.  The pass of serve is traveling very close to the net.  The
>     backrow setter jumps and sets the ball to a teammate.  The set
>     is touched by a blocker prior> to the teammate.  When should the
>     R2 signal blocking over?

> b.  The R1 will not always see the touch by the blocker of the set.  The R2
> should signal blocking over to indicate that the set was touched by
> the blockers.  The R1 can then decide whether or not the ball had
> broken the plane of the net.

I like B here as well, as long as the R2 thinks there might be a
chance of a violation.  The R2 doesn't have the best view of the
plane, and the R1 should rule on that.

> 3.  A backrow setter jumps to set a ball that is coming down near
>     the net.  The set is poor and ends up on the other side.  When
>     should the R2 signal back row attack?

> b.  If there is any question about the height of the ball relative to the
> plane of the net, the R2 should signal BRA.  The R1 then can judge
> whether or not the ball was completely above the plane of the net.

I like the sommunication of B here as well.  The R2 should signal any
possible infraction in this instance, and let R1 determine whether the
ball was above the height of the net.

> 4.  A backrow setter runs up to set an overpass.  The ball is
>     crushed by a blocker back into the hands of the setter, which
>     she has put above her head in a soft blocking position.  The
>     ball is now contacted 3 times by the team and goes to the other
>     side.

I guess I'm confused by the situation.  If the blocker has contacted
the ball, I'd expect the setter's contact to be the first of the
team's three hits.

> 5.  As R2 you notice that team A's backrow is always out of rotation when #4
> is the server.  #4 is again the server and the backrow is again out of
> rotation.

> d.  Ignore the overlap this time.  On the next time out, go over to
>     the R1 and explain the situation.

I won't whistle on something that's clearly my partner's
responsibility.  I would take the opportunity on the next time-out to
speak to him/her about it.  I also don't like the idea of stopping
play for an official's timeout to speak about it.  I don't imagine
many R1's would like the idea of an R2 stopping the game to say "hey,
you're missing this!"

> 6.  A backrow setter goes up to set a ball that is near the net.  It appears
> that the ball has broken the plane of the net.The setter and blocker contact
> the ball simultaneously.
>
> b.  The R2 should signal backrow blocker, but not whistle.

In-line with situation 2, I like b. here as well.  Don't whistle
unless you're sure a violation has occurred.  Signal any potential
violations that need R1 confirmation.

As an R1, I'd like to see an R2 alert me of potential faults.  I'd
also like them to leave determinants such as ball position and moment
of contact to the R1's enlightened position on the stand.

USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/