Re: CBVA Rule Changes 1998-1999 (beach / outdoor)

mtpearson@my-dejanews.com writes:
> In article <35522E39.4622@Volleyball.ORG>,
>   Volleyball World Wide <taj@Volleyball.ORG> wrote:
> > From the California Beach Volleyball Association
> > http://www.volleyball.org/cbva
> > Significant rule changes for the 1998-1999 season:
>
> I'd be interested to know if anybody reading this in Florida knows
> if the tournaments or volleyball associations in Florida have
> adopted similar rules.
> There have been many debates lately among players I know about what
> the current rules are for these situations, and others, such as:
> what is legal on the first contact on a hit or a serve?  does play
> "continue" even after the ball is down, i.e. is a net violation
> still a violation if the ball hits the ground first and the play is
> dead? when is a contact under the net considered interference and
> when is it not?  and etc.

There's an excellent comparison of all these issues in the USA
Volleyball Casebook of Approved Rulings in the beach rules section.
It compares USAV 2's 3's 4's 6's, FIVB doubles, AVP doubles, WPVA
doubles, Pro Beach 4's, and CBVA outdoor rules on these issues, and
many others.  To order the casebook call VIP at 1-800-275-8782.  Pick
up a USAV rulebook too if you don't already have one.

xFrom the casebook, it looks like the "continuation rule" is enforced
when there is no referee in all formats except FIVB and WPVA doubles.
That is, under USAV beach rules, AVP, CBVA, and Pro 4's, it's illegal
to run into the net on the continuation of your play, even if the ball
is already down when you finally contact the net.

I'm not sure what rules are in use in Florida.  I for one am pushing
hard for MVP (http://www.aceitup.com/) here in Chicago to adopt
straight USAV Beach rules to minimize the number of local rules that
cloud the landscape!

If you're interested in the USAV perspective, stop by my web page with
a listing of indoor/outdoor rule differences--it highlights the
first-team-contact issues in which your interested.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."