Re: Rules on tips

"Ken Huisman" <ken@computronix.com.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Last week in my rec volleyball league we played against a team who when
> they tipped the ball it appeared they were getting awfully close to
> throwing the ball.  We have no refs for that game so none of it got called.
>
> I was wondering if any volleyball referees could give me some guidelines
> that they use for judging when a tip is a throw or when it is a clean tip.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

Without a referee, this is going to be a great source of frustration
for everyone who plays against this team!  Getting the other team to
call themselves on this will be difficult at best.  :-)

However, this aspect of ball handling was covered in a recent referee
clinic here in the GLR.  While this is no substitute for watching a
large number of well-officiated matches to understand what is commonly
allowed, perhaps these guidelines will help:

    Did the ball substatially change directions while in contact with
    the hand?

    Was the ball over-controlled?

    Was the duration of the contact something more than brief?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," the ball was
probably carried.

HTH,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."