Re: question about the down ref

"Martha L. Clark" <mclark@cs.uah.edu> writes:

> Ok, another question from my league play last week.  Under USAV rules,
> what can the down ref call?  It is my understanding that the down ref can
> only blow his whistle and call nets and over-the-line violations.
>
> Thanks again,
> Martha

USAV indoor rule 27 covers this.  Short of purchasing a rulebook
(which I highly recommend if you are refereeing matches), you can view
the similar FIVB rule here:

        http://www.mcgugan.demon.co.uk/volleyball/ch7.html#L24

Down refs calls and whistles net violations, timeouts, subs, position
faults of receiving team, contact of ball/player with their antenna,
penetration into opponent's space/court, back row attack/blocks
(though some up refs like to whistle those), balls crossing outside of
their antenna, and foreign objects entering the playing area.

Info on purchasing a USAV rulebook is available at

        http://www.volleyball.org/rules/index.html

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."