Re: Kneepads or Nopads?

mikemcd@xnh.ultranet.com (Michael C. McDonnell) writes:

> Up untill this year I have always worn Kneepads.  I was told once
> that "Real volleyball players don't wear kneepads" That... " If you
> use proper form, you should not need them".  So this year I made the
> decision to shed my pads for good. Did I jump to soon? (pardon the
> pun).
>
> In an article about the National men's team, I noticed that many of
> the players were wearing knee pads.  I bet noone told them about
> "real volleyball players" and "proper form".
>
> I welcome any input on this subject.
>
> Mike Mc.

This should be an entertaining thread.  I have this story to get
things started, sent to me by a friend of mine here in Chicago:

   In 1990, I worked out with a guy named Aldolpho.  Aldolpho is
   probably the most recognized player in Chicago among active
   competitive players. Anyway, Aldolpho had told me and several
   others, that a quick way to get ignored by team captains who were
   looking for players to play USAV was to be seen wearing Knee Pads.

   According to him, it was a status thing.  If a player walks out on
   the court without Knee Pads, it says that he knows how to pancake
   and roll dig which puts him ahead of most players.  It also was a
   statement that you as an opposing player, would serve to anyone
   wearing knee pads because they were probably the most untechnical
   player on the team.  Through the years, I have observed many people
   while playing and have found that he was right about 85% of the
   time.

This sort of machismo won't stop me from wearing my kneepads, but it
was entertaining to learn that this sort of prejudice exists...
especially in the men's game.  Your observation about the national
team is a compelling one and should quiet any kneepad detractors.

Personally, I don't particularly care what the other team thinks--if
they want to serve me because I'm wearing kneepads, they'll soon learn
that I'm among the best passers on my team rather than the worst.
Also, I feel less inhibited on defense with them on.  And..if a
captain won't consider me as a USAV team member because I wear
kneepads, I don't think I'd get along with his leadership style
anyway.

Bottom line...it's a personal preference.  Don't use kneepads to avoid
learning proper defensive technique, but don't shed your pads just
because someone is propagating "real volleyball players don't"
theories.    I've never been a fan of such generalizations....

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."