Re: interference (contact with player, above the net)

mikemcd@nh.ultranet.com (Michael C. McDonnell) writes:

> Following is a scenario sent to me by a friend asking me the legal call:
>
> > There was a play last Sunday where I was setting.  I jumped above
> > the net & with my left hand set the ball using a partially closed
> > hand.  (My hand was in front of the ball to keep it from going
> > over the net.)  Player A from the other side swung at the ball &
> > hit my hand.  My hand then hit the net.  I called interference
> > with the set because I didn't believe the ball broke the net
> > plane.  Of course folks on the other side did think it broke the
> > plane so we played it over.  Would setting interference be the
> > call if the ball didn't break the plane?  If it did break the
> > plane what would be the call?
>
> I know the answer to the first part is interference (sorry, I don't
> have my rule book to quote the specifics) However I have no clue on
> the second part.

This ties in very well with the as-yet-unresolved "Contact under net"
thread.  The key to this situation is: where did the contact with your
friend's hand occur?  On the opponent's side, or on his side?

After reading through the rules with a fine-toothed comb, it appears
that this interference is legal provided the defense contacted your
friend's hand in the defender's playing space.  Then, (amazingly) your
friend would be guilty of a net violation which the opponent's
indirectly caused.  However, if your friend's hand was entirely in his
own space, the defense would be charged with interference per r16.5.1.
Now the facts:

First, your friend had a right to have his hand over the opponent's
court, provided some part of the ball is still in the plane of the
net or if the ball is completely on his side of the net:

USAV 1997-98 Indoor Rules:
 16.2 Reaching Beyond the Net
 16.2.3   A player is permitted to pass hand(s) beyond the net inside
          the antennas and contact the ball over the opponent's court
          on his or her team's first or second hit, provided the ball
          has not completely crossed the vertical plane of the net and
          is directed back into the player's own playing space.

Now the question is....was it interference?  I cannot find anything in
the rule book which specifically prohibits the defense from contacting
an oppoenent while he's in their playing space--regardless of the
ball's position.  In the absence of a fault, play on....

Hence, this is quite similar to "contact under the net thread"
involving interference combined with legal penetration under the net.
I'm curious to see if the indoor rules are consistent in allowing the
defense to legally interfere with an attacker who has legally
penetrated into the defense's playing space.....

Note once again, that 16.5 "Player's Faults at the Net" does not
specify any faults for interfering with someone who has penetrated
into _your_ playing space.

USAV 1997-98 Indoor Rules:
 16.5 Player's Faults at the Net
 The following faults result in a loss of rally:  A player:

 16.5.1 touches the ball or an opponent in the opponent's space before
        or during the attack-hit [Rules 16.2.1, 16.3.1, 19.3],
 16.5.2 penetrates into teh opponent's space under the net interfering
        with the opponent's play [Rule 16.3.1],
 16.5.3 penetrates into the opponent's court [Rule 16.3.2].
        or
 16.5.4 touches the net [Rule 16.4.1].

Nationals...Jr. Nationals?  Anyone care to lend a hand?

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."