AVP hands/ yellow cards (was Re: Belmar..hands, yellow cards, etc.)

I didn't see the match, but I can comment based on your descriptions.

b_blair@ix.netcom.com(Bart Blair) writes:
> Then at some point betweent he yellow and the red card, he was
> explaining to Lewis that he called it because he set the ball from
> here (his nipples) to here (behind his head)!  Shouldn't he have
> then called a lift???

Agreed.  If the ref didn't like the distance the ball travelled and/or
the time it took to travel that distance during the set, the
appropriate call would be a lift rather than a double contact.  A rule
of thumb that was cited in recent clinics:

        Lack of control --> double contact
        Over-control    --> lift

> Finally, I was told by a friend of Troy Tanners who was sitting beside
> me that in the AVP a ref can give a yellow card, then another yellow,
> then another...  Is this true?

According to the AVP Rule and Coloring Book (my name for a publication
written for a 5th grade reading level), this is indeed the case:

  Rule 22 Sanctions
  22.1 Definitions
    A. Warning:  A player will be given a warning (yellow card) by
  the referee for minor acts of misconduct on the court.  A player may
  be given multiple yellow cards without the necessity of a red card,
  even for the same offense.

Under USAV indoor and outdoor rules, however, it's a different story.
A repeated act of unsportsmanlike conduct (yellow card) within the
same game necessitates a red card.  [O23.3, I24.3]

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."