Re: Overhead bump: Great Lakes region

Kristian Milec <kmilec@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I know that  the GLR has only bumps on the serve allowed. the problem is
> that when I bump overhead, the ball goes sailing back to the other side
> of the net. Is the ball to be contacted with the palms facing up
> (meatier part of teh forearm), or with palms facing each other (the
> bones contacting).  thanks
> --

To answer your question, I would suggest contacting the ball with your
palms facing up to expose a meatier and flatter area of your
forearms.

However, I suspect that you are citing a local rule from the league in
which you play.

The Great Lakes Region plays by the same USA Volleyball rules as any
other region--you can double contact any first ball provided the
multiple contact is made in a single attempt to play the ball:

1997-98 USAV indoor rules:

14.4 Characteristics of the hit

14.4.1  The ball may touch any part of the body.

14.4.2 The ball must be hit, not caught or thrown.  It can rebound in
any direction.

14.4.3 The ball may touch various parts of the body, provided that the
contacts take place simultaneously.  EXCEPTIONS:

        14.4.3.1 During blocking, consecutive contacts may occur by
        one or more blockers provided the contacts occur during one
        action.

        14.4.3.2 During the first hit of the team (not blocking), the
        ball may contact various parts of the body consecutively,
        provded that the contacts occur during one action.

                14.4.3.2 Commentary The first hit of the team includes
                reception: (a) of the serve; (b) of an attack hit
                by the opponent [this may be a soft or hard
                attack-hit]; (c) of a ball blocked by one's own
                team and (d) of a ball blocked by the opponents.
                During the team's first hit successive contacts
                with various parts of the player's body are permitted
                in a single action of playing the ball.  These
                include contacts involving "finger-action" on the ball
                and contact with the foot.  The ball, however,
                may not be caught and/or thrown.

As another poster mentioned, the serve reception rule you mention is
most often seen in Rec. leagues, not sanctioned USAV GLR competition.
For instance, the local Motorola Volleyball Club states that you must
receive serve with your arms locked together--either by a regular
forearm pass, or by the "tomahawk" overhead contact that you describe.

Best Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."