Re: AVP Rule interpretation (My vent on spin)

Andrew Scott <andrewcs@beam.com.au> writes:

> Bart Blair wrote:
>
> > Please don't take this personally, but I HATE when people say this.
> > Technically, spin or lack there of means very little when judging the
> > leaglity of a set.  It has, however become one of the standards that
> > we
> > use.
> >
> > If what you said is true, then can you please explain how I can set a
> > wildly spinning (in any direction) ball and it can come out with no
> > spin.
>
> 	Don't take this personal, but I think if you have to ask such a
> question you need to have more training...

Andrew,  you're out of line here.

I think Bart makes an excellent point here that is overlooked by many
novice referees.  As any good clinician will tell you, spin does not
automatically signal a double contact.  It can be a clue, but not a
condemnation.  The USAV outdoor rules specifically state this:

        13.4.4.1 Rotation of a set ball may indicate a held ball or
        multiple contacts during the set, but in itself is not a
        fault.

In fact, the absence of spin on a set from a heavily spinning pass can
be a clue to a _held_ ball.

Regards,
USAV Regional Referee, Great Lakes Region, Palatine, IL
Todd's Volleyball Referee Page http://www.io.com/~tdh/vball/
"So you're a Ref and an engineer? Oh that explains it...."